Monday, February 29, 2016

Glasses, sunglasses!

I used to wear glasses some time back.Then I decided to sacrifice myself, as a practice specimen,  to the surgical skills of a local ophthalmologist. A LASIK surgery made sure I did not need them anymore. Boy! the first few days after a LASIK surgery is fun. Everything looks a lot brighter than before, and you can suddenly spot things really far away with an eagle vision.

I think I have mentioned it in some of my earlier posts. A few hours after the surgery I had to spend without opening my eyes. I did an imaginary salute to the millions of blind people in this world who carry on with their lives depending on their senses and somehow fight against the odds.

Before that when I used to wear glasses, there were umpteen times I would place the spectacles somewhere in the house and search for them like mad.The amazing clarity in my vision would never remind the preoccupied me, that they were safely perched on the bridge of my nose and were now slightly sliding down towards the tip. Finally when I would look at the mirror casually while searching it would strike me! Eureka!!!

Last week I had been to the local florists. None of the flowers seemed bright and all the colors seemed really dull. That is when I realized that I was still wearing my sunglasses. The dark purple had tinted my entire vision as I was indoors now at the wet market and the dim lighting there did not warrant a pair of sunglasses at all. I removed them and Voila!! The flowers were beautiful.

I could not help getting philosophical. Many a time in life what we see may not be what actually is. We put on sunglasses of a specific perspective and then it becomes difficult to see reality as is. Sometimes we need to take a step back and check if we are wearing sunglasses after all. 

17 comments:

  1. Forgetfulness can play a truant sometimes:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice philosophical twist towards the end ! And you reminded of Kutchu ! Do you remember him from our middle school textbooks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont remember a character like that...Till VII I studied with the Kerala Board State Syllabus and hence neer encountered Kutchu! :D

      Delete
  3. It's true that we never know what we have until we lose it. And I realized the importance of vision one morning when I just could not read the fine print and that was a big shocking realization. Oh yes, seeing the world without preconceived ideas can make a big difference in our lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, my mom and dad needed glasses to read fine print...Guess it will be my turn soon

      Delete
  4. Very short and sweet! And you expressed a thought very deep and profound. Beautifully written. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate to what you say, Jaish..I had my lasik done around some 8 yrs back and how I felt when I first looked at things..I felt as if I got my eyes back and it did take some time to get used to sunglasses. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! Before that all I had to do was look at the sky without my glasses in order to see a full moon! :D ha ha

      Delete
  6. I agree with the philosoplical part there. And, I have a huge respect for people who are visually impaired. I fumble with perfect vision. I am so lame. Great that lenses have made things more beautiful and brighter for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's called a blinkered view of the world. We see what we want to see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice and informative post here. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting post there, Jaish. Just as spectacles hamper our vision, similarly preconceived notions do so as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very wise post Jaish!We are prone to judge things according to our preconceived notions and often suffer because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. :D
    I'm glad you didn't leave after seeing that all the flowers looked dull.
    It's been a while since I've been here, eh. Got some catching up to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. our eye-sight is one of the most taken for granted things in our lives. in fact all the five senses. so i could understand when you said you wanted to salute the blind

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good read....

    Stop looking people, places and conditions with a pre-occupied mindset and you will see a clear and real picture.....

    ReplyDelete