Sunday, March 25, 2012

My Bali Trip - 1

I am not very sure in what order I should go about with regards to my posts on Bali...Just pick places at random or go about sequentially describing in a chronological order!

Guess, random is better.

Bali has a version of Hinduism that has been handed down over centuries.The stories and Gods are very similar to the Indian version but the customs unique in their own way.

One thing I observed is that they are very pious people with a firm deep-rooted belief in their religion and customs.

Almost every house, shop or building in Bali including our resort had a structure at the front -A high throne with a cloth wrapped around it and sometimes with an umberella perched on the top. Every day the people place some offerings in the form of flowers or fruits to this high throne. On doing some search on Google on Balinese Hinduism , I found out that it is representation of Acintya, the supreme God.





In India especially in the South , there are customs in some parts where some trees are considered as representations of Gods and have turmeric and vermillion smeared on the bark with lamps and incense sticks lighted in front.


I found a noteable similarity in Bali with quite a few such trees being considered Gods with a checked cloth draped around their barks.


There is a temple every few miles called 'Pura' in the local language. The stories from the Ramayana and Mahabaratha are well prevalent and depicted in most of their art forms. You can find Shiv Lingas, statues of Nandi, Ganesha etc interwoven with characters like Dragons.






The statues on the road junctions would usually be out of Hindu mythology. One that caught my awe is the one of Rama that I found in Ubud. I have always seen pictures or figurines of Rama in his coronation ceremony with Sita or as a snapshot image with Sita and Lakshman at the sides and Hanuman at his feet.


This one I am talking about is of him in a warrior position about to strike with his bow and arrow quite contrary to his usual representations depicting his kindness and nobility.



The 3 days that I stayed there , every little to big thing that I came across, which I could relate to what I have seen back home in India gave me a wierd pleasure and happiness....I am not sure what is the right word to describe it. More in future posts.....













22 comments:

  1. Indonesia had a great exposure to Indian kings aren't they?
    i heard that a Chola king built the temple walls that portrayed in Cambodia's flag.. i am not sure, just heard in air.
    Beautiful pictures and a great exposure for me !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deepak,
      I am not very sure which ruler brought Hinduism to Bali but I know that it dates back to as early as 4th or 5th Century AD. And the Balinese royal family lineage still exists though like Tanjore they are just descendants of royalty and do not actually govern the place.

      Delete
  2. I second to what Deepak wrote! There is a strong historical link between india and indonesia. it is interesting to see these amazing sculptures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think so as well as Hinduism originated in India for sure. Thanks for the comments

      Delete
  3. Indonesia was once a Hindu nation... Once..! :) Bali is one of my dream destinations... I have seen this place in Eat, pray, love.. and it was beautiful.. I liked the photos and your blog..!! Like.. Like.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ...Thanks...Thanks... :)

      After Eat Pray and Love one of the beaches in Bali is called Julia Roberts Beach ha ha

      Delete
  4. Nice to see Hinduism being so prevalent in Indonesia. Some nice info which I didn't know earlier. Thanks Jayashree. Lovely pictures too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Akshay.....Even I was a little surprised on seeing it so prevalent!

      Delete
  5. sounds lovely! added it to my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stepping in....Definitely one of the places one must visit in SE Asia. :)

      Delete
  6. Interesting post with wonderful images.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i really like this statue of Rama in warrior position. and these pictures r supercool, definitely not amateurish. moving onto part 2 :D

    and i do agree with Rudrakshincense, yup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks a lot :) I took that Rama pic from a moving car...By fluke it came out exceptionally well :) Canon Camera :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I can go there once and thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know Bali had so much similarity to India and our mythology. :) The temples and sculptures look very beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are indeed very beautiful. I am recommending Bali as a must-see-place to everyone hi hi

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have read about it in "Eat Pray love"....Nice pictures..thanks for the post..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seriously impressed! Everything is very open and exceptionally clear explanation of problems.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Padma Perfumery Works is a leading manufacturer, supplier and exporter of premium quality incense sticks & agarbatti from India. Our product catalog includes Stress Relief Aroma Sticks, Citronella Incense Sticks, Stimulation Incense Sticks, Eucalyptus Incense Sticks (Sino Relief), Incense Agarbatti (Relaxation), Sandal Agarbatti (Peace), etc

    ReplyDelete