Monday, April 3, 2017

#AtoZChallenge 2017 - C for Cup

I asked the little one C for? I was now geared up for the likes of cranberry and crocodile and catapult. She kept it simple. Went for C for Cup.

My morning cup of hot coffee just went into my system and is doing its wonderful job of rejuvenating my being. Caffeine is bad, I hear you. We Tamilians always have our coffee with milk and so its 80% milk. Healthy Coffee :)

That reminds me of the tea shops at Ooty and Kodaikanal - hill stations and popular tourist spots in TamilNadu. In a misty weather, with a few drops of rain here and there, the mere sight of these tea peddlers and their carts can lift ones soul. The steam coming from the boiling water in the cart floats away and blends with the whiteness in the air and when the cup touches the lip for the first sip(I am getting poetic now) of that tea, its pure bliss. The smell of the tea, a little bit of ginger and some green cardamom is heavenly. Someone would be selling hot corn on the cob nearby and that aroma seeps into your being too.

As a kid I used to love pouring the tea into a saucer, holding it with both hands and slurping it with that bubbling noise. (A little repulsive to my polished being now of course but fun then ). Who uses saucers these days? I wonder!

Then there are all the cups associated with the sporting world. FIFA World Cup, Cricket World Cup and the like. When India first one the cricket world cup, I was two years old and when it won again the second time, my son was two years old. A simple sweet coincidence in life to smile about.

That takes me to a TV serial I watched as a kid. A girl from a poor family is a good athlete and wins a trophy in her school and takes it home happily. The next morning she finds her drunkard father using it as a cup for his morning fill of alcohol and is totally shattered. Alcohol addiction is a serious problem especially in the lower rung of the social ladder. Almost every house help who has worked for my mother or mother-in-law has told us stories of torment due to their drunkard spouses. All the money these men earn is totally spent on alcohol forcing these women to toil in different homes to meet their daily needs. Worse is when their money is also snatched by these addicts for satiating their thirsts. It saddens me when movies spread wrong messages about alcohol being a kind of medicine that helps you forget all disappointments and failures in life. Hope society keeps changing for the better.

22 comments:

  1. Visiting from A to Z. I grew up with an alcoholic father, so your post really hit home for me. I wasn't expecting it. Great post!

    Collectorz Software

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful meandering post from tea cups to alcohol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use a saucer. In fact can't have tea in a cup without a saucer, but have never poured tea in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do? Thats nice... You must try some time... Its like those must-try s like eating Jam straight out of the bottle :D

      Delete
  4. I do like collecting cups but I hate coffee!! Guess that wasn't the right thing to say to a coffee-lover!

    Crushes

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like coffee but I love collecting cups. Oops, I guess it is not a good thing to say infront of a coffee lover!!

    Crushes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its ok hi hi.... Have you tried the Madrasi Filter coffee? Try it some time. May be you wont hate it so much? :)

      Delete
  6. I liked how you moved from cup to alcohol. As a team lover, i also prefer mine with milk. Your little one gave a lot of food for thought to your readers too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. FIFA World Cup is my favourite kind of cup, but I feel even that is losing it's luster nowadays

    Absolutely Amazing Alliteration

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cup in all its glory (and otherwise)! You have it all covered! I love the little assortment of everything that's going on here!

    Shubhangi @ The Little Princess

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is no such thing as an unhealthy cup of coffee! Let's compare it to a trophy cup of alcohol... see! Much better for you to have the coffee!

    Mainely Write
    COOKN4U

    ReplyDelete
  10. This made for yet another fun read, Jayashree. I have fallen in love with Coffee recently though I am die hard Chai fan. Aah! The fun of drinking tea from the saucer and competing with sisters on who makes the loudest slurping sounds... those were the days!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the fondest memories of the tea shops in Ooty and Kodaikanal, and your post took me right back there!

    C is for… cancer/Parenting in the Wilderness

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a funny read !

    Launching SIM Organics

    *Menaka Bharathi*

    *SimpleIndianMom*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love to have tea in a beautiful tea cup! Nice post - Heidi visiting from the A to Z Challenge at, Decibel Memos (Perspectives absent of sound)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally love filter coffee...or to give it its correct name filter kaapi :) Went on a trip to south India many yonks ago, binged non-stop on the kaapi, some of the greatest there is.

    Your post made me smile - thanks.

    Nilanjana.
    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love a nice cup of coffee or tea! I admit the only time I use a saucer is if I happen to have a cup of tea in a café and they give me one
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some people say that also milk is bad. Everything is bad, if you hear to people! I think that excesses are bad, but I would be a bit unhappy without my daily cup of coffee :)

    -----
    Eva - Mail Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your blog is such a fun to read :) <3
    https://outfitsandmakeupblog.wordpress.com/2017/03/31/signature-scent/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I enjoy a morning cup of coffee and like you, pour in the milk and cream. I'm half-Norwegian and noticed my relatives drink coffee this way too. I guess lactose intolerance skipped us.

    "Female Scientists Before Our Time"
    Shells–Tales–Sails

    ReplyDelete